Curriculum Vitae of Cornelis (Kees) de Waard.
Born 1935 in Amsterdam. Masters degree (physical organic chemistry) and Ph.D. at the Municipal University of Amsterdam (1964), while working as a university assistant.
Joined Shell in 1964, as research scientist in the materials engineering department at the laboratory in Amsterdam. Main topics: CO2 corrosion, electrochemical corrosion mechanisms, pitting and stress corrosion cracking, cathodic protection. Developed the deWaard-Milliams equation, also known as the CO2 corrosion nomogram, which received international recognition. Transferred to the Shell Westhollow laboratory in Houston (1978) and to Shell Thornton laboratory in the UK (1981). From 1984 till 1991 head of the Production Materials & Corrosion group at Shell's head office in the Hague. Was involved in further development and refinement of predictive models for CO2 corrosion and their integration in computer spreadsheets, which can be linked to e.g. wet gas pipeline design and operational parameters. Worked at Shell Labs in Arnhem and in Amsterdam in a consultant capacity till mandatory retirement in September 1995. Main involvement with design and corrosion protection of wet gas pipelines for the Norwegian Troll field.
A NACE Fellowship was awarded in 1994, and a NACE technical excellence award in 1995 for all published work.
After retirement started a materials and corrosion engineering consultancy, mainly for advice on lifetime prediction and corrosion of wet gas pipelines, but also on materials selection and protection in general.
- "Influence of liquid flow velocity on CO2 corrosion: a semi-empirical model", NACE CORROSION/95 paper 128, by C. de Waard, U. Lotz and A. Dugstad
- "Prediction of CO2 corrosion of carbon steel", by C. de Waard and U. Lotz, European Federation of Corrosion Publications number 13, "Predicting CO2 corrosion in the Oil and Gas Industry", The Institute of Materials, UK 1994, page 30.
- "Corrosion Control in the Troll Wet Gas Pipelines", by C. de Waard, NITO/NKF International Conference "Corrosion and Materials Offshore", Oslo 14-15 September 1994,
- "Predictive model for CO2 Corrosion Engineering in Wet Natural Gas Pipelines", by C. de Waard, U. Lotz and D.E. Milliams,Corrosion 47, 12 (1991) p 976.
- "Carbonic acid corrosion of steel", by C.de Waard and D.E.Milliams, Corrosion 31, 5 (1975), p 177
- "Prediction of Carbonic Acid Corrosion in Natural Gas Pipelines", by C.de Waard and D.E.Milliams, First International Conference on the Internal and External Protection of Pipes, paper F1, Sept 1975, University of Durham, UK
- "Influence of anode-cathode distance on sacrificial anode resistance", Materials Performance 33 , 2 (1994), p 17, by C.de Waard
- "Optimisation of Offshore CP Design", by C. de Waard and L.M. Smith, UK CORROSION/87, Birmingham UK.
- "The Influence of Crude Oils on Well Tubing Corrosion Rates", by C. de Waard, L.M.Smith and B.D.Craig, NACE CORROSION 2003 paper 3629.